Thursday, December 29, 2011

Egg Pie with Sausage, Onions, and Potatoes

Hello friends!  Here we are, on December 29th.  It's just flying right by isn't it?  And only a few more days until we ring in the new year!  Goodness gracious.  I might have said it before but, I hope you have all had a wonderful holiday season so far.  Especially since it's all wrapping up. 

Well, I hate to jump right to the gifts I received this past weekend but....Remember a while back when I made the foodie gift guide?  Well it turned out to be the best thing I could have done.  I ended up receiving some of the things on the list as gifts.  How wonderful are the people I have in my life?  Pretty. Darn. Wonderful.  I think I'll start making gift guides for every holiday...including flag day, valentines day, veterans day...just kidding, that would be absurd.

Within the next couple months I will be posting about some of the fun things that I received, but for today...we will be oogling over the HOMEMADE cookbook that Kaston's wonderful parents gave me.  I can't even explain to you how much I love this cookbook.  I actually haven't stopped carrying it around...just in case, you know.

I even carried it alllllll the way to Bolivar to visit my precious suitemate from Mizzou, Kaitlin.  After a trip to the grocery store and another to Wal-Mart, we settled in for a day of cooking, crafting, and the Dixie Chicks.  A combination that simply can't be beat.  Especially when I get to spend the entire afternoon with the Roweton family.  And speaking of that little family...the Roweton ladies both have spectacular blogs.  You have to check them out.  Kaitlin has Small Things and Sue, her momma, has Life Moves Pretty Fast.  Go read and love on them! 

And then come back to drool over this yummy egg pie/omelette that Kaitlin and I made...

Egg pie...
with sausage, cumin, potatoes, and spinach


Ingredients:

Print Me! 
  • 8oz sausage (I used sweet Italian)
  • olive oil for frying
  • 10oz spinach, washed
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1 green pepper, diced
  • 1 large potato, washed but not peeled, thinly sliced
  • 6 eggs
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, briefly toasted in a dry pan
  • salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1 ball buffalo mozzarella
1. Heat a little bit of olive oil in a large skillet.  Brown meat.  Remove from pan when meat is done and drain on paper towels.
2. Throw the spinach into the same pan, on high heat.  When all of the leaves are cooked, transfer to a colander in the sink to drain.
3.  Heat a bit more oil in the skillet, and add the onion, green pepper, and potato slices.  Cook half covered with a lid for approximately 10 minutes on medium heat.  Turn occasionally.  Remove the lid and turn up the heat, allowing the potatoes to become crispy on the edges.

4. Preheat the broiler.
5. Beat the eggs, cream, cumin seeds, salt, and pepper in a large mixing bowl.

6. Pour egg mixture over the veggies in the pan.  Shake the pan back and forth in order for the egg to spread out evenly.

7. Spread spinach and sausage over egg mixture and cover with mozzarella slices.

8. Place pan in the oven until egg is done.  Approximately 10-15 minutes.

 9. Let everyone dig in!

10. Serve in thick wedges.

11. Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. It makes me so happy that I finally got to eat one of the wonderful dishes you blog about--and it surpassed all expectations of deliciousness!! Also I love the Print Me option for the recipes...great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I'm so glad I had the chance to make a little something for all of you! Combined with the crafty afternoons...it was just perfect!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...