Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Christina's Homemade Ice Cream

And....here it is!  The second "new eatery" post of 2012!

Thank goodness for the leap year...otherwise I would have been a day late.

This month I chose to try out Christina's Ice Cream Shop in Inman Square.  Logical right?  Ice cream at the end of February.  Who eats ice cream in the summer anyways?  Not this girl.  (That is a complete lie.  Sorry.)

As I've told you many times before...I'm a sucker for sweets.  That being said, I obviously have been seeking out the best sweets in Boston since well...I decided I was moving here in late 2009.  And I can't tell you how many times I've read about Christina's.  Well I could, but it's far too many for it to have taken me this long to pop in for a visit.  Over and over I've heard that Christina's made the famous J.P. Licks look like a sham.  And while maybe I wouldn't go that far...I would tell you that it's won my vote for the best ice cream in Boston...so far.

This was actually the second time Ashley (from The Uniqueness of Being) and I had stopped in.  The first time we were quickly turned away by the cash only sign, which of course we didn't have.  Other than a minor/life threatening encounter with some cinnamon we were really impressed with this little ice cream shop.  The flavors were unreal, the ice cream was incredibly light and not too dense, not too sweet, and quite refreshing even on a chilly night in Boston.  All in all it was just some darn good ice cream.

How about some pictures?


As soon as we entered we were greeted by this monstrous flavor board.  And they definitely aren't your average *chocolate* *vanilla* *strawberry* type flavors.  Look at those things.  Burnt Sugar?  Ginger Molasses? Adzuki Bean?


Next came the toppings bar.  In my opinion these weren't exactly necessary.  The ice cream flavors were far too interesting to dump anything else on top of it.  But...who can deny a little extra chocolate?


After long contemplation, I decided on the Burnt Sugar (left) and the Carrot Cake (right).  Goodness gracious.  The burnt sugar was this wonderful combination of an almost bitter/nutty taste with the luscious mix of sweet butter cream.  And the Carrot Cake was well...Carrot Cake.  BUT it had raisins and pecans mixed in...Mmm.


Ashley went for the Malted Vanilla (buried under the peanut butter cups in the back) and the Mexican Chocolate.  The Mexican Chocolate was delicious but...didn't work out so well for her since she's deathly allergic to cinnamon and apparently Mexican Chocolate = Pure Cinnamon.  Oops.  And the malted vanilla was probably the best *vanilla* I've ever tasted.  Take that Coldstone.


Crisis averted.  She went back for a scoop of the Green Tea to make up for the cinnamon dilemma.  Whew.  This one was so refreshing.  Not too sweet, which made for a nice palette cleanser while taste tasting the rest :)


Yum. Yum. Yum. Yum. Yum. Yum. Yummmmmmm.


Green tea ice cream and a cute vintage dress.  She wins.


DEMOLISHED.

Favorite flavors in order:
1) Burnt Sugar
2) Green Tea
3) Carrot Cake
4) Malted Vanilla
5) Mexican Chocolate

I highly encourage everyone to go and devour as many flavors at Christina's as possible.  Then come back and let me know your favorites OR if you already have favorites I want to hear them!  Tell me what I missed (so I can go back and have more)!

Check out the website {here} OR avoid the torture and go get some.

Christina's Homemade Ice Cream
1255 Cambridge Street Cambridge, MA
(617)-492-7021
Hours: Monday-Sunday 11:30AM-10:30PM


2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, you made me crazy. I am starving and you did spoil me. I have to try them too and will tell you my favorite flavors in order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you must! I hear they have several flavors that rotate so I guess I'll have to go back for those :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...