Friday, April 27, 2012

Shrimp with Cilantro-Lime Pesto


Guess what.


I finally made pesto.

Remember how I've been telling you for the last 8 years that I'm going to make pesto...soon...?  Well, the time came.  And I did it.  And I adored it.  (P.S.-that 8 years thing...was a lie.)

Let's talk about this stuff for a minute.  This wasn't just any kind of pesto.  It was cilantro pesto.  Yeah, you heard me.  Cilantro.  Usually pesto comes in the form of basil, pine nuts, olive oil, and yummy cheese.  But this recipe pulled the ole' switcheroo, putting a South of the Border twist on this Italian classic and...I loved it.

Other than the pesto, this recipe is incredibly versatile.  For example, the original recipe called for linguini but I swapped it out for brown rice.  Why?  Because it's what I had.  I made it with shrimp, but you're feeling chicken tonight?  I say go for it.  You don't like feta cheese?  Throw in some Parmesan.  You catch my drift.

shrimp with cilantro-lime pesto...
from Bon Appétit
Makes: 4 Servings   Prep Time: 15 minutes   Cook Time: 10 minutes   Total Time: 25 minutes

{Printable Recipe}

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups packed fresh cilantro leaves, plus 1/4 cup chopped
1/3 cup chopped green onions
3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 Tablespoon jalapeno, chopped and seeded
1/2 cup plus 1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 lb linguine (or rice)
1 lb uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined 
3 Tablespoons tequila
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
salt and pepper

Directions:
  1. In a food processor, combine 1 1/4 cups cilantro, green onions, lime juice, garlic, and jalapeno.  Blend until a course puree forms.  With the machine running, gradually add 1/2 cup of oil.  Season generously with salt.
  2. Cook linguine (or rice) in a large pot of boiling water until tender and done.
  3. Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the shrimp and cook until almost opaque in the center, about 3 minutes.  Remove skillet from heat and add tequila.  Return skillet to heat and stir until sauce is thickened and syrupy, about 30 seconds.  Add pesto and stir to coat.  Remove from heat.
  4. Add pasta (or rice) to skillet and toss to coat.  Season with salt and pepper.  Divide among plates, sprinkle with cheese and chopped cilantro.
  5. Enjoy!


P.S. - Earlier today I went to the restaurant for April's "new eatery" post that I'll be sharing with you sometime before Tuesday...and OH MY GOODNESS.  It was divine...as in possibly the best breakfast I've ever eaten.  I can't wait to tell you about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...